Pasco County Extension
Senate Bill 2080: Legislation of Florida-Friendly Landscaping™
How can Senate Bill 2080 be summarized?
- deletes references to "xeriscape";
- requires water management districts to provide model Florida-friendly landscaping™ ordinances to local governments;
- requires each district to use materials developed by Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP), University of Florida/Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS), and the Center for Landscape Conservation & Ecology/Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program;
- requires the water management districts to coordinate with FDEP and UF/IFAS, if revisions to the educational materials are needed;
- says that a deed restriction or covenant may not prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping™ on his or her land;
- says that a local government ordinance may not prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping™ on his or her land;
- says that local governments must use the Florida-friendly landscaping standards and guidelines when developing landscape irrigation and Florida-friendly landscaping™ ordinances.
- Read Senate Bill 2080 in its entirety.
- Questions and Answers on Legislative Bills SB494 and SB2080
- What Is Florida-Friendly Landscaping™?
- The Nine Principles of Florida-Friendly Landscaping™